Sunday, December 16, 2007

Skipping a Confusing Alert Box



I was setting up an Airport Extreme base station this weekend, and I encountered this interesting dialog box. At first blush it looks like it's trying to be helpful:

This congifuration will cause your base station's light to blink amber. Are you sure you want to continue?
Click ignore to prevent your base station's status light from blinking amber for this problem.
Skip | Cancel | Ignore


Okay, so I get that if I don't want the base staion light to flash amber, then I click Ignore. But what if I want it to flash amber? Do I click Cancel? or Skip? If I click Skip, what am I skipping? If I click Cancel, am I resetting what I changed (nope, it just takes me back to the screen that generated the dialog in the first place.)

It seems obvious that it's probably Skip I should click, but I wasn't certain. I spent a good minute puzzling over that thing, and decided to just click Ignore because that's what it wanted me to do.

But to be honest, I also didn't understand why the setting I had chosen would cause it to flash amber. And why that was a bad thing. All in all, I was confused, and that's a shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home