Sunday, September 17, 2006

Oh, you shouldn't have!

I have to admit that I was a little concerned that CitiBank was going to clear everything up this week and I would have nothing to write about.

It's purely selfish, I know, but I just felt that the arc of the story would be seriously compromised if things were resolved this way.

Fortunately, CitiBank has come through for me!

I called customer service again this afternoon. Pressed 1 for English. Entered my account number. At this point, normally I get passed to a customer service person. But this time I got the recorded attendant, who told me that my last statement had a balance of $1,490.00
….you have a credit balance of $2280.00

Say what?!!

I had to relisten to it three times to be sure I'd heard it right.

Then I spoke to a Customer Service person. First I explained the whole story. I told him that I didn't like to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I thought that my being in credit for $2,000 was just as wrong as them thinking I owed them $1,000.

He put me on hold for a while, then came back and said he didn't know what was going on, and that he would transfer me to a surpervisor.

Hello, I'm Kim!

Kim was friendly, bubbly, and almost happy to talk to me. I once again explained the whole story. I've told this story so many times to so many Customer Service people that I'm getting bored with it. I also worry that I'm just going on and on, so I try to edit it down; but there's so much that you need to know to make sense of what's been happening. I kept stopping to try and figure out what to edit out, and realizing that I couldn't cut much.

When I finished, she took a look at the account.

"Well, I see we have two credits, and there's no notes."

If course there weren't. It seemed that the two fraudulent transactions had been credited twice instead of once. Or something like that.

Kim said she'd send a request to the Help Desk.

"Help Desk?" I asked. "What's that?"

"Well, they'll look into this and see what happened."

"Really?" I said. "I wonder why no one told me about this in the past six months that I've been calling?"

"Well, they're internal only."

Yes, but why had no one bothered to send my problem to them before, I wondered. I mean, I owe them and they do nothing, as soon as I point out that they think they owe me money, they send it off to the Help Desk.

I didn't make a fuss. Kim was being helpful, and I knew it wasn't her fault. It's the fault of the companies policies and procedures.

She did tell me that she would put a stop on the credit request so that they wouldn't go and send me a check, and then - and she laughed a little - call me up and want it back.

"They'll look into it and let you know what's going on," she assured me.

"They're going to call me?" I confirmed.

"Someone will absolutely let you know what happened," she repeated. "It usually takes about a week."

I was feeling a little reassured, and then she added "You should probably call again then and see what's happened."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way too funny. I am worried they will correct the credit TWICE....

10:02 PM  
Blogger Taz said...

Each time I try and imagine some outrageous thing they will do next; they go and do it!

So I'm trying very hard not to think about what will happen next.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home